Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wishing Wednesday Santa Fe Style


My parents retired to Santa Fe, New Mexico five years ago.  I have to tell you that I was initially devastated that they were moving across the country!  I had bought a house about a mile and a half from them and assumed that they were going to stay in their home of thirty years forever.  Well, surprises never cease to amaze and my father bought a spectacular house in Santa Fe.  He is a native New Mexican and my mom is from Long Island. (I know, unlikely combo; they met at GWU.)

  My niece and I went at the same time.  This is Kim on the balcony of my parents guest house.

 The Pink Adobe is a old restaurant in town and my first night there we had dinner and these lovely "Pink Dragons" made with prickly pear juice.  Delish!

Shopping is one of my favorite things to do when I'm visiting.  No surprise there!  Santa Fe is known as an artists town and there are amazing galleries and wonderful shops and vendors with beautiful crafts.  I wandered around the plaza and found some fun things.  Davis Mather Folk Art is a block off the plaza and I had a great time chatting with him and learning about his shop which specializes in New Mexican and Mexican crafts.


The shops around the plaza can be a little touristy, but I have a few favorites that I visit every time.  Look at this gorgeous rug.


 
Another fun thing to do is is go to this crazy place called Jackalope.  Literally!

They have every kind of thing imaginable.  Handmade paper flowers from Mexico, a glass blower, vintage shops, pots out the kazoo, rugs, furniture, you name it and they just might have it.  Kim and I had a blast then hit the trail when we saw a storm brewing.




Isn't Kim gorgeous?  We loved watching them blow glass and were amazed at all the lovely combinations of colors.

We went to the farmers market and were amazed at some of the produce. 




Marigold chains.


One of the big hits there was this fellow roasting green chilies.



I also had the pleasure of visiting with my fellow designer (and blogger), Michael Hampton of Michael Hampton Design.  He and his partner moved from DC to Santa Fe last year and we had a great time catching up.  Drinks (once again!) and snacks at the famed Coyote Cafe.

So, there you have it!  Lot's to wish for on this Wednesday!



I

2 comments:

  1. love it! i am also wishing we were stil there! cant wait to go back. had such a great time with you :)

    ReplyDelete